Welcome to The Old Convent Holiday Apartments in Fort Augustus, near Loch Ness Scotland

We, Chris & Felicity are local (born and bred in the Highlands) and have lived in The Old Convent since 1994.  We managed to buy this beautiful old building in 2011 and have been lovingly renovating it to a (we hope) very high standard keeping a lot of the original features but adding some little modern touches such as insulation, double glazing and central heating!

Old Convent Holiday Apartments near Loch Ness Scotland
Old Convent Holiday Apartments near Loch Ness Scotland

Ok, now this is the section where we ALL tell you that our particular village is in the most beautiful and in the best location in Scotland but…being totally unbiased here you understand… our village is!

Old Convent Holiday Apartments near Loch Ness Scotland
Convent Woods directly behind The Old Convent
Old Convent Holiday Apartments near Loch Ness Scotland
Convent Woods

Joking apart, we think Fort Augustus is the gem of the Highlands and really has everything; not only is the village itself beautiful and interesting with the Caledonian Canal and locks running through the centre and pubs/restaurants, craft shops, visitor centres, grocery, post office, bank and petrol station all very close by (and only a ten minute walk from The Old Convent which is within the village limits). But being geographically the centre of the Highlands on the southern shores of Loch Ness makes all areas of the Highlands easily accessible.

We are surrounded by beautiful scenery with an abundance of wildlife, the odd castle or two, amazing Munro’s and Corbetts for the more serious walker plus easy romantic (or not!) woodland walks on both sides of the village and don’t forget the famous Caledonian canal for a stroll.  Lovely bicycle rides for all abilities (bicycle hire in the village), horse riding, fishing, kayaking, boat trips and a 9 hole golf course.  Hey…sounds fantastic, think we will holiday here ourselves!

Old Convent Holiday Apartments near Loch Ness Scotland
Back Garden of The Old Convent
Old Convent Holiday Apartments near Loch Ness Scotland
View to Ben Tee from front of Apartments


Short History Lesson.
The Old Convent was originally built as a church by Lord Lovat in 1842 and known as St.Peters chapel.  In 1888 it was then offered to ‘The Sister’s of Mercy’ from Elgin to use as a school and their convent, during their short occupation it was known as St.Columba’s convent.   After extensive renovations were completed in March 1892 for a new order of nun’s, it was renamed St Scholastica’s Priory until 1922 when the remaining nun’s were moved to Holm Eden Abbey.  Since then many people have lived in the convent including a few let’s say…’colourful’ characters!



About Apartment No 1...